What is this site about?
Why was it created?
For the past few years, my key areas of interest have been forensic accounting, emerging standards and metadata in accounting and the impact of globalization on the accounting field. Analyzr helps me organize my thoughts on these topics.
- Fraud: I have been researching the various methods used by companies to commit accounting frauds. Someday, I would like to formulate a tool/method to detect and prevent such fraudulent activities. Analyzr is a collection of various frauds committed in the past few years, and my analysis around them.
- Emerging Standards: Having worked on International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) at one of my prior employers, I have seen first hand the how IFRS differs from US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). I am very excited about the convergence project where the two authorities International Accounting Standards Board (which is in-charge of IFRS) and Financial Accounting Standards Board (the US authority on standard setting) have stepped forward and have committed to working on the convergence of the US and International accounting standards. This is a landmark event in the history of accounting. It is definitely a privilege to be a part of such a paradigm shift in the field. This convergence process is very dear to me and I follow it through Analyzr.
- Metadata: I was fortunate to be part of one of the first few filers who used the eXtensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL) to file their financial statements with SEC. I got a chance to tag the financials and see how the language worked. Having gotten my hands dirty, I developed a keen interest in the language and have been following it’s evolution through Analyzr.
- Globalization: Last but definitely not the least is my interest in tracking the impact of globalization on the accounting world. I have seen its impact on accounting frauds- how even companies based outside major economies like US and UK are becoming international news. Evolution of accounting standards and the move towards global standards is again an impact of globalization, so there is an inherent overlap in these topics.
“All passion becomes strength when it has an outlet.”
– George Elliot in her first novel, Adam Bede